Friday, November 28, 2008

Cabaret - No! Not the Musical

I want to talk today about the art of Cabaret performance.
Let's make an important distinction right now.
Singing in church, or on the auditorium stage of your highschool or college is not the training ground for the kind of performing I am speaking of, for I DO believe that the only way to understand how to connect with the audience is to get closer to them...physically as well as emotionally.

And the way to do that is to play in a venue that forces you to look into their eyes and guage their response to you. It moves you to communicate with THEM rather than being overly involved with the sound of your own voice. This style of performing that I speak of is called "Cabaret".

Cabaret consists of not just singing, but of interacting with the audience through patter and story-telling.

When you do a "cabaret act", you choose material that will reveal the essence of who you are, one that has the potential of literally casting a spell on the audience and making them hang on your every word, spoken or sung.
When you let them KNOW you, they become your friends and they feel connected and special to be there listening to you.

I am always amazed when I have a student who tells me he/she wants to be the next "American Idol", and then when I ask them to perform for me, they become embarrassed and make some excuse like, "with no mike?" or, "It makes me nervous when you look at me."

Let me say right here and now, if you can't look at your audience, and I mean into their eyes, then you're not a performer, at least not yet. Singing Cabaret-style allows you to learn how to present your own unique talent and your particular spin on life as a performer, for an intimate audience.

And let me add here that a Cabaret Act does NOT have to include perfect vocal technique, for it is more than just singing...much more!

It differs from other onstage disciplines, in that the "wall" between artist and audience is erased. There are no bright lights in your face to shield you from seeing how you're going over.

When you sing in an intimate setting, you are inviting the audience into your world.Cabaret allows you to share who you are and what you feel. And this type of performing can start in your own living room, singing for friends and family members. The idea is to get intimate and tell the story of who you are through your voice and your musical selections, which become woven into your "story".

In cabaret, you can sing anything, as long as it is justified by a personal connection to the material. Cabaret acts can have a theme or not, can honor a single composer or be about someone's life, as long as it's an honest representation of you, the performer, and engages the audience on a personal level.

When I left NYC years ago and was doing a cabaret act on the road, I always included a set of songs about "home". Luckily for me, there are a ton of songs about NYC, so I had a wealth of material to choose from. I'd start out with somethin like, "We'll have Manhattan", and slowly build through 4 or five more songs to the big finale of "New York, New York". My audiences from Peoria to Butte, from Kennebunkport to Phoenix reallyloved that set.

I also had sets of Cole Porter Medleys, Frank Sinatra Songs, and always always always did an entire set of audience REQUESTS.

So what do you want to say at this point in your life? Choose songs that will tell your listeners all about that!

Because keeping your performance honest will convince your audience of your sincerity and make them adore you.

1 comment:

1st Mate said...

Chrys - Our local venue is a good place to develop a cabaret act, except for the fact that the acoustics are dismal. It's a long room with concrete block walls (typical Mexican construction). People sitting directly in front of us can usually hear us talk, but the act is lost on anybody else. So I always ask my friends to sit close. Maybe we'll find another place soon.