Saturday, August 16, 2008

It's Your Job!!

Gads! I can't believe it's been an entire month since I lasted posted to my blog!

To my newsletter readers, so sorry for the delay in posting this article, but I've been wrapped up in this Boundless Living Challenge, and it's having an incredible effect on me. But that's another article altogether. I'll be able to tell all the details after the challenge ends on Sept 2.

Meantime, here's todays article, just a couple of weeks late...


It's Your Job!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As mentioned above, I am involved in a project with about 5600 others online. We are each discovering things about ourselves and seeking ways to have an impact on the world we live in. What I am finding out about my self and my motivation is charging my spirit with all sorts of new ideas for the future.

As I write this, I am acutely aware that some of what I am about to talk about with you guys will be received by you in a variety of ways.Some of you will think, 'Yeah, she's right. It's exactly like that', while others will disagree totally.

I suspect that most of you will be somewhere in between because as artists we are fairly, if faintly aware of what goes on behind our eyes, and in the deepest part of ourselves, even those parts we keep hidden from the rest of the world outside of us.

That being said, I start by saying that I believe we human beings come into this world each endowed with certain gifts. Some of us discover very early on what those gifts are, and for some of us, they can take a lifetime to reveal themselves. While others may never find them, many will discover their gifts in the latter period of their earthly experience and wonder why it took them so long to see them.

Well, duh...it takes as long as it takes for each individual rose to blossom.

One thing IS certain though, and it is that every one of us DOES have gifts, and from my view, our only job on earth is to use them for good.

I have spoken to you guys about this before and quite often I know, but while I was researching material for the 5th eBook, I came across some quotes by musical artists that truly touched me very deeply. When I tell you people that your gift of song can heal the planet, I'm not just being dramatic. I'm dead serious about that. What's wrong with the planet is from my perspective really quite simple to diagnose. We are lost! And we are standing at the top of a hill, looking down into a valley, thinking, 'is that the way...there?' and suddenly, we hear a small voice, behind us, like a child, and turn to look at it and THAT's when we see the road back. And the voice was our own...inner child calling us back to LOVE!

All we needed to do was turn our heads. But we are so preoccupied with day-2-day survival game we are forced to play on this planet, that we cannot appreciate the value of LOVE, and that's what music is, you know...LOVE.

"To sing is to love and affirm,to fly and to soar,to coast into the hearts of people who listen,to tell them that life is to live,that love is there,that nothing is a promise, but that beauty exists, and must be hunted for and found."
Joan Baez - American Singer/Songwriter

Do you think that human beings who are feeling that kind of love would be interested in raging wars for profit?

"When I am singing, I am inside of it...I feel, oh, like it feels when you're first in love, when you're touching someone--chills,things slipping all over me...A lot of times, when I get off the stage, I want to make love"
Janis Joplin - American Blues Singer

Would a CEO feeling like that create a mission statement to lay off a million people just to make a few more dollars?

"Once I had a dream to live and love, and this dream became music.It touched all of the beautiful experiences I have searched for or known. Each sound was a color, and each color was a warm feeling, and my heart kept the tempo."
Les McCann - American Jazz Pianist

Can a person who understands this quote spend his afternoons spreading ugly rumors about his/her neighbor over the backyard fence?

"The funny thing about enlightenment is that it's like you're searching for something--say your hat--and you're tearing the house apart and suddenly you look in the mirror and you see it sitting on top of your head. Music is where I experience that. I'm in a flow, I'm in a zone, there's a definite shift in consciousness, without desire, without my ego, without me thinking, 'oh wow, I'm sounding great'. Just experiencing it as a flowing living moment."
Vernon Reid - British-American Guitarist

Can you recall a time in your life when you were so full of joy you wept? Was your ego involved?

"For a musician, music is the best way to unite with God". Inayat Khan - Indian Sufi Master


The Runner runs - and it becomes a prayer. For me, singing is my meditation.

"Music is the harmonious voice of creation.An echo of the invisible world [of spirit]."
Giuseppe Mazzini - Italian Patriot and Revolutionary

Singers - I encourage you to SEE your place in this miraculous creation!

"He who lets his breath, hence his life force,flow consentingly as a willing sound sacrifice from the depths of his body, sings his life;for singing means to affirm life,to free oneself, and thereby to bring happinessand prosperity to oneself, and consequently to one's fellow man."
Marius Schneider

This is the quote that gave me the name of my first website.

I have been literally singing my life since I was 3, and there is nothing I cannot endure as long as I keep singing.

How can I impress upon you people, the value of your gift for this planet?

How can I make you see that your voice + my voice + all the singers' voices can make so much music, that the entire earth will be continuously singing.

You can make this happen just by singing your song...making your own "sound sacrifice" to heal the hearts of a lost society. It's your job....TO SING!

Well, please do forgive my proclivity for phlolisophical discourse, but as Nietzsche once said,

"Has anyone ever observed that MUSIC emancipates the spirit? gives wings to thought? and that the more one becomes a musician, the more one is also a philosopher?"

Guilty.


I leave you with this final thought to ponder, and I invite you to leave your comments. I know you must have some remarks to make about my attempts here to stir things up in you.

Don't be shy. There IS a way to leave a comment anonymously, so go for it!

"Wherein lies the power of songs? Maybe it derives from the sheer strangeness of there being singing in the world...a mystery like mathematics, wine, or love. Song shows the world that it is worthy of our yearning, it shows us our selves as they might be...The mystery holds the key to the unseen...There are occasions when the bolts of the Universe fly open and we are given a glimpse of what is hidden...Glory bursts upon us in such hours, and reveals the radiance of singing."
Salman Rushdie - British Author

See ya, Singers!

Sin[g]cerely,

Chrys





1 comment:

1st Mate said...

Chrys - thanks for stirring me up. Your timing couldn't be better. I've been looking at nursing homes for my mom and seeing people more dead than alive in every one, and realizing life is damn short! I can't wait to get back home and get back to singing.