Friday, June 20, 2008

Ugh! That sound is Awful!!

I hear it from my clients all the time, and many of my colleagues and friends as well. Even my own son, and my daughter too, complain to me about it. And yesterday, while recording a vocal guide for an original backing track I made for a student, I actually saw and heard myself vocalize an expression of loathing of my own voice.
And the moment it happened, I thought, "Aahaah! None of us are immune from this! Each of us, in one way or another, absolutely HATE the sound of our own voice."

So the question becomes,
THEN WHY DO WE CHOOSE TO ENGAGE IN AN ACTIVITY IN WHICH WE USE OUR VOICE MORE THAN ANY OTHER BODY PART?

I mean, if we hate the sound of our voice so much, why don't we just do things where we don't ever have to speak... and definitely not sing...like reading or something like that?

For me there are 2 answers:

1> We are programmed to be self-effacing, self-critical, overly humble, and non-threatening.
2> It's an ACT!

Before I actually elaborate on these concepts, I'd like your take. So whaddaya say? Take it away!!

1 comment:

1st Mate said...

I hate the sound of my own voice when I'm not singing with conviction. Either I'm not sure of the note, the lyrics, or I'm out of sync with the accompanist. Anything like that can blow my confidence and make my voice waver, and from there it's like a house of cards, very hard to keep it going and get back on track. Since we all make mistakes, I think putting aside a moment's self-loathing to concentrate on the next note, the next line, is the secret.